Getting better

Depression, anxiety or a bout of the blues: Resources for the help you need

Getting better

Depression, anxiety or a bout of the blues: Resources for the help you need

Not feeling yourself? Or perhaps you have a friend who isn’t feeling quite right? Wondering where or who to look to for information and help?

Below are a few resources that you can turn to, whether it’s to talk about what you’re going through, get some guidance on the next steps to take, or find more concrete solutions.

At school

You can start by talking to teachers or school staff. In Quebec, if you are 14 or over, you have the right to secrecy in your dealings with certain healthcare professionals. If you’re unsure, ask. They can provide answers to help you see things more clearly. And if you’re reluctant to go talk to someone on your own, you can always ask a friend or loved one to go with you. The list below may vary from one establishment to the next, so don’t hesitate to ask your school for more information.

Special education instructor

Works with students who have trouble adapting due to a mental health problem, behavioural disorder or developmental disorder.


Helps students with adaptation or behaviour issues to develop their independence and better integrate into their social circles.

School psychologist

An expert in all things related to mental health, behaviour and emotions, the school psychologist can:
• Assess how you’re feeling
• Suggest treatment (psychotherapy, etc.)
• Point you to other resources, if necessary

Occupational therapist

Helps those who have trouble with their posture and fine motor skills, but can also provide tools to deal with anxiety.

Social worker

Works with families who are having trouble dealing with their teen’s behaviour (violence, delinquency, etc.). A social worker can also help you figure out what’s going on in your own life and steer you through the social services and healthcare system.

School Nurse

Offers prevention, awareness-raising and support in matters of health and healthy lifestyles.

Outside of school

📱 Info-Santé 811

A nurse will ask you questions about your situation and help direct you to the appropriate resource in your area.

👩🏾‍⚕️ Your family doctor

Your doctor can do an initial assessment of your situation and determine whether your current problems may be related to a physical illness. They can then direct you to the appropriate resource.

🏥 Your local Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS)

or your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS) – Directory
No matter the reason behind your situation, healthcare professionals such as social workers are there to help. They can steer you toward the services and resources that best meet your situation and needs.


If you(or a friend) are in a crisis situation and at risk of self-harm:

  • Call 911
  • Go to the nearest emergency room
  • Call Suicide Prevention Centre of Montreal at 1 866 277-3553 your call will be automatically directed to a local ressource (free and confidential service available 24/7)


Need to talk to someone, but not quite ready to meet with a healthcare professional?

There are various services and crisis hotlines out there, with people standing by to listen, provide guidance and help steer you in the right direction.

Kids Help Phone

Free, confidential and available 24/7
Phone: 1 800 668-6868


Free, confidential and available 24/7
Phone: 1 800 263-2266
Text: 514 600-1002


Help, information and reference line
Phone: 1 866 738-4873

Free, confidential and available 24/7
Phone: 1 866 277-3553

Mental Health support: more helplines and resources