Getting help

Resources for helping teens with depression or psychological distress

Getting help

Resources for helping teens with depression or psychological distress

Concerned that your teen might need some help, or that you could use some advice on how to deal with teens and depression? Finding that despite the support of those around you, things just aren’t getting better? Don’t know where to turn or what to do?

Here are some resources to help you handle the situation and find solutions.


First, parents of a depressed teenager should seek advice from a healthcare professional.

🏫 At school

you can start by talking to the school’s healthcare professionals. Since your teen already knows them, the initial meeting will be easier.

🏡 Outside of school, you can consult:

Info-Santé 811
A nurse will ask you about your situation and direct you to the appropriate resources in your area.

Your family doctor
They’ll do a preliminary evaluation of your teen’s condition and possibly even determine whether the issues are indeed due to psychological distress, and not just side effects of another illness. They can then direct you to the appropriate resource.

Your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS). Consult the directory.



Depression, anxiety… whatever issues your teen is experiencing, social workers and other healthcare professionals can help with your situation and direct you to the most appropriate services and resources for your needs.


If you’re in a crisis situation or your teen may be dangerous to others or at risk of self-harm:

  • Call 911;
  • Go to the nearest emergency room;
  • Call Suicide Prevention Centre of Montreal at 1 866 277-3553 ; your call will be automatically directed to a local resource (free and confidential service available 24/7).

Going through a difficult time with your teen or looking for ways to help your teenager with depression or anxiety?

If you’re wondering how you can help someone with depression, there are a number of different services and helplines staffed by people who can provide advice and guidance if and when you need it.

Kids Help Phone (free, confidential service available 24/7):
1 800 668-6868 ou


The Association québécoise des parents et amis de la personne atteinte de maladie mentale: 514-524-7131 or



Your local hospital



Be there:

Tel-jeunes (telephone and online youth help service): 1-800-263-2266 or 514-288-1444 or



LigneParents (free telephone help service for parents, in French only): 1-800-361-5085 or 514-288-5555 or



Relief (help, information and reference line): 1-866-738-4873 or




Strong Minds Strong Kids, Psychology Canada: Free stress lessons for school staff, courtesy of RBC Launch:

Looking for a psychologist or psychiatrist to provide care for your teen?

The Ordre des psychologues du Québec

(private consultation; cost covered by you or your insurer) has an online directory that you can use to find a psychologist or psychotherapist

The directory lists professionals according to:
• the issues they treat;
• their area of practice;
• the types of clients they serve.

This service also provides you with the following information:
• the date the professional obtained their licence;
• the type of work they accept (e.g. CSST, IVAC , SAAQ, expert testimony);
• their conceptual orientation.

Your family doctor or another healthcare professional can give you a professional’s contact information directly.

Free consultations in the public sector

Free consultations in the public sector

CLSCs, hospitals, and schools generally offer free psychological services to their clients or students. You’ll need to contact the establishment directly to set up an appointment. Wait times will vary depending on the location and the issue you want help with. Consult the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux website for information on which health care facilities in your area offer psychological services.

Access the Ministère website
Employee assistance programs

Employee assistance programs

Some employers have an employee assistance program (EAP) that provides the opportunity to consult a psychologist or psychotherapist free of charge for a set number of sessions. Contact your EAP directly to obtain the names of healthcare professionals who are available to help you.

University clinics

University clinics


Universities that offer psychology programs generally provide clinical services to the public. These services often cost less than those offered by independent psychologists, but they may have different conditions regarding consultations (for instance, services might be provided by a doctoral student in psychology and supervised by a psychologist).